29 August 2011

100 Things about Me, Continued: # 26-50

26. For a few years during grammar school, I attended a parochial school. I was the only Mormon kid in the whole school, which was kind of fun sometimes--especially when the other students participated in weekly confession and I got to sit on the back pew and read a book. When one of my friends asked me why I didn't have to go into the confessional, I smartly replied, "Because I have nothing to confess!" (Had I been Catholic, I would've needed to go directly to the confessional box for that lie!)

27. And speaking of lies...my Maddy nickname originates from a lie I told about what my full name was. To be fair, I was eight-years-old and living in a South Milwaukee neighborhood where I was the only white girl. All of my friends had exotic names like B'Shara, Tangelique, Shaniqua, or Fo'shoshana. I felt left out because my name seemed so plain compared to theirs--and I didn't have an apostrophe or even a silent Q or anything like that! So, I lied and said the first exotic name that came to mind when they asked what my full name was: "Madeline" I said, pronouncing the name with a very thick, French accent. They were impressed. A few days later, they determined that I needed a nickname: Maddy. It stuck. (So much for an exotic name, huh?)

28. And another bit of fiction I perpetuated: I've had 2 imaginary boyfriends in my life. The first, Lee-nard, was in college, an inside joke that morphed into this story my friends teased me about (something about how Lee-nard was a tennis player from Perth, Australia). My friends would leave "love notes from Lee-nard" on my dorm room door or send me virtual flowers from him.
The other imaginary boyfriend was Chad Keychain. Same story: a funny quip I made morphed into this huge inside joke. Only this time, Chad was a Polynesian man living in Cheyenne, Wyoming (where I was, at the time, serving part of my LDS mission), and his grandfather invented the keychain. You laugh, but there were a few people who believed it was true! For the most part, however, it became a mission-wide inside joke. Even my mission president and his wife would ask me about "Chad." LOL. Awe.Some!

29. As you can tell, inside jokes are an integral part of who I am. I love them--and I have a myriad of them. I love to repeat an inside joke and make someone laugh. One of the best talks I ever gave in church was peppered with inside jokes. I don't remember what the actual topic I was supposed to be speaking about was (LOL); what I do remember is that I brilliantly incorporated many inside jokes from the Rocky movies and made my friends in the congregation laugh. Again, not necessarily the greatest thing for me to do in church; it certainly wasn't a very reverent thing to do! But it was huh-larious when I weaved the little gem that Drago says in Rocky IV ("If he dies, he dies") into my lesson about life after death. I did it so seamlessly that if you didn't know the origin of "If he dies, he dies," you would've just thought I was very insightful. (BIG GRIN)

30. I love flying.

31. I love cemeteries--but only during the day. In the light of day, they are peaceful, reverent places...but at night...well, I've watched too many horror films to let my imagination go there!

32. Although I like to dress up and be a girl, I have strong tomboy tendencies. E.g. When I was in the first and second grades, I enjoyed playing barbies with my girl friends, but then when I'd hang out with my boy friends, Barbie would join the army (complete with drawn on tattoos!) to play GI Joe or be Princess Lea when we pretended to be in Star Wars.

33. I love the concept of Facebook but am not on it much. I rarely post, rarely check.

34. My hair stylist (my friend, the fabulous Tish) and I just recently discovered that I have naturally curly hair. Who knew?!

35. I used to choreograph dances to NKOTB, Debbie Gibson, Bon Jovi, Sweet Sensation, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, and other 80s artists in my backyard and put on performances for my neighbors.

36. My first dancing was standing in front of the television on Saturday nights, shaking my little diapered booty to the Lawerence Welk Show.

37. I want to be abundantly wealthy so I can share my abundance of wealth with "the forgotten." And with my temporal needs met, I will be free to spend my days serving others.

38. Thinking is my strength but it's also my kryptonite: sometimes, especially when I am anxious about making a decision or about a struggle in my life, I think myself into a frenzy...to the point that I can't sleep. And I can also talk myself out of making decisions that might require "too much" risk (according to my brain).

39. I love having someone else brush my hair. It's very relaxing.

40. If left unattended, I could do genealogy research for hours and hours, stopping only to use the wash room and occasionally remembering to eat something.

41. I have an aversion to public restrooms, especially if they look like this from Como, Italy: 

42. I am a proponent for efficiency, which I blame or credit to my German heritage. If there is an efficient way to perform a task, I will find it--and find it quickly. There's too much to do in this life--too much fun to be had!--to waste time. I'm afraid, though, that my sister doesn't know what to do with me: she's not quite the efficiency-crazed person that I am. (I think I got all of the German genes...LOL).

43. I have an affinity for natural, holistic medicine, and actually prefer the natural to Western medicine for non-life-threatening situations. I'd love to learn more about the proper use herbs and essential oils.

44. I am fascinated by the idea that everything is energy. I voraciously read anything I can about Law of Attraction, etc. to better understand how to positively affect my life by obeying this law. And I love learning about the 7 chakras, including how to clear them.

45. According to Carol Tuttle's work about energy profiling, my dominant energy type is Type 1 with a secondary 4.
Nitrogen, Type 1: The bright, animated person who has a gift for new ideas and possibilities. The natural movement of Type 1 is upward and light. This can be seen in a Type 1 person’s personality and also their body language and physical features. A person with a dominant Type 1 expression is naturally an upward, light, upbeat person. Famous Type 1 people include: Rachel Ray, Goldie Hawn, Jim Carrey, and Will Smith.

Carbon, Type 4: The structured and exact person who has a gift for looking at the world through a critical eye and perfecting it. The natural movement of a Type 4 person is constant and precise. This can be seen in a Type 4 person’s personality and also in their body language and physical features. Famous Type 4 people include: Keanu Reeves, Simon Cowell, Demi Moore, and Audrey Hepburn.

SOURCE: Carol Tuttle, master energy therapist, "What is Energy Profiling?"
46. I used to dress my sister up in my Cabbage Patch premie's clothes (they fit her) and push her around in my doll's carriage. She was my living doll.

47. Weak ankles prevented me from moving on to pointe shoes in ballet, and they make skating dangerous for me (read: falling!).

48. I still have some of the jelly and friendship bracelets I wore in the 80s. But for some reason, they don't coordinate very well with my business professional attire. Go figure.

49. My parents thought I was going to be a boy. Oops. Sorry to disappoint y'all!

50. I've always wanted to build my own tree house and have sleepovers in it. And have a secret password. I'd let boys join me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment