I like to think about the symbolism behind words, cultural phrases, numbers, etc; it helps me understand what I'm reading, especially the scriptures, much better.
Since today is 10/10/10, I searched for information about the number 10 -- and I found a wonderfully insightful article by scholars John W. Welch and James T. Summerhays about the number 10 and its significance in the scriptures.
Here are some of the highlights from the article:
1. Ten is the number of perfection in many cultures
2. Ten signifies full worthiness before God.
3. Consecration and sacrifice involve the giving of a tenth.
4. Testing and trials in the extreme run tenfold.
5. Justice and religious affairs are administered conclusively in tens.
6. Invoking the name of God ten times as a sign of complete reverence.
7. Receiving the Word of the Lord.
8. Penitence and Atonement associated with tens.
9. Supplication and prayer needs to endure ten times over.
10. Sacred cosmology and the tenth heaven.
Read the full article, "The Scriptural Number Ten on October 10, 2010" by John W. Welch and James T. Summerhays by clicking this link: Meridian Magazine - The Scriptural Number Ten on October 10, 2010