21 September 2010

Heavenly Help and Family Ties, Part 2

A few more quotes on this subject of heavenly help and family ties; these quotes are from President Ezra Taft Benson.

I am sure many of you know that the veil can be very thin–that there are people over there who are pulling for us–people who have faith in us and who have great hopes for us, who are hoping and praying that we will measure up–our loved ones (parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, and friends) who have passed on.
-- Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.31
I often wonder just how much my life is influenced by my family members, particularly by my Aunt and my Uncle Jack and by those other ancestors for whom I have done temple work. How involved are they in my life here on this side of the veil--particularly, how many of the small and simple blessings I enjoy are directly related to work they have done on my behalf? I don't know the answer, and I probably don't need to know. But to me it would make sense that if God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and His course is one eternal round, that both sides of the veil (those of us in mortality and those in the spirit world) bless each other: the work I do here blesses them (especially by remembering them and providing temple ordinances for them, a work they cannot do as disembodied spirits) and the work they do blesses us on earth (miracles, divine intervention, and work we cannot do for ourselves). Just a thought....
Visitors, seen and unseen, from the world beyond, are often close to us. This is part of eternity which we are living today–part of God’s plan. There is no veil to the Lord.
-- Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.35
I love the idea that eternity is not something that starts sometime in the future but that it is here and now--that we enjoy the blessings of eternity already, especially the blessings of an eternal family. It makes so much sense to me that God would do it this way. Why wait when we can enjoy eternity now (albeit a lesser form of eternity)?

No comments:

Post a Comment