29 September 2010

Did Anyone Get the Message?

For the last few days, I've had the lyrics to a Jason Mraz song stuck in my head. And not the whole song even, just a few stanzas that keep repeating over...and over...and over again. It's getting annoying.

This morning when that song popped into my head yet again and I was trying to figure out why these words won't leave my head, I decided to write out the lyrics and see what was so catchy about them that my brain wouldn't let go.

Did you get my message, the one I left
While I was trying to condense everything
That I meant in a minute or less when I called to confess
And make all of my stresses go bye-bye

Did you get my message, you did not guess
'cuz if you did you would have called me with your sweet intent
And we could give it a rest
'stead of beating my breast
Making all of the pressure go sky-high

Do you ever wonder what happens to the words that we send
Do they bend, do they break from the flight that they take
And come back together again with a whole new meaning
In a brand new sense, completely unrelated to the one I sent

--Jason Mraz, "Did You Get My Message?", Mr. A-Z.
Interesting words. "Did you get my message?" That's something I have been wondering lately about Heavenly Father and about others. I speak, I write, I pray, I communicate in whatever way I can. But does anyone hear? Is my message--what I'm meaning to say, not just the words that are used--reaching the intended audience?

Or are the words--and my fears--morphing what I'm trying to say? Are they, as Jason Mraz suggests, "break[ing] from the flight that they take and com[ing] back together with a whole new meaning in a brand new sense, completely unrelated to the one I sent"?

When this occurs, it leaves me with a prevailing sense of communication impotency: does anyone, anywhere understand what I'm trying to say? Are my words getting "lost in translation"? Is there anyone fluent enough to translate for me?

In our day of instant communication, it can be troubling to send repeated messages and not receive an answer. I need to remember that Heavenly Father isn't on Facebook, instant messenger, email, mobile device, or anything like that. So, I can't always expect Him to respond immediately. What I need to remember, though, is that He will respond...in His own time and in His own way. I need to trust that He has received my message and that He will respond. Remembering this is especially difficult, though, when there seems to be silence coming from the only Being who can help in my current situation.

1 comment:

  1. I created an account so that I could make comments (it had already started to bug me that I could not respond to your blog posts), and now it's like a half hour later and I forgot what I was going to say about this posting of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete