My thoughts led me to remember a part of the movie Runaway Bride where Maggie (Julia Roberts) cooks and samples various types of eggs, attempting to finally determine for herself what kind of eggs she likes. It is a profound moment when she begins to know herself and assert her identity, ceasing to rely on others to create an identity for her. She then returns to the man she's truly in love with, Ike (Richard Gere), to share her discovery:
Maggie Carpenter: Benedict.Maggie had become a chameleon--taking on whatever personality and/or desires was around her. For many years, I did the same: I didn't feel that it was "okay" to just be me, so I played the role of whoever people wanted me to be. I, like Maggie, had to test the waters (or the eggs) to finally figure out who *I* was--and to feel comfortable just being me, whoever I was.
Ike Graham: Arnold.
Maggie Carpenter: I love Eggs Benedict, I hate every other kind. I hate big weddings with everybody staring. I'd like to get married on a weekday while everybody's at work. And when I ride off into the sunset, I want my own horse.
Ike Graham: Should I be writing this down?
Here's who I am, for better or for worse:
- I like scrambled eggs; don't like runny egg yolk.
- My favorite city in the United States is Boston.
- I love Harley Davidson motorcycles.
- One of my favorite activities is reading greeting cards and finding the "perfect" ones for friends and family.
- I love camping and hiking but I don't know how to build a good fire (I usually let someone else do that).
- I collect inspirational quotes, talks, and devotionals.
- I am (in)famous for food cravings: I have "food phases" where I crave a certain food constantly. E.g. Barbara's Cheese Puffs, Old Wisconsin Beef Jerky, vanilla soft serve ice cream, fish and chips from Arctic Circle, Super Pretzels, etc.
- Hip hop and hula dancing are my favorite types of dancing. I also love ballroom dancing and want to do more of it, but I don't have a partner.
- I'm a word nerd: I love to learn and use big words. (I subscribe to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day).
- One of my goals is to visit as many LDS temples in the world as possible.
- Although I can do things on my own (and I usually do them well), I'd prefer to have help--someone I can count on to be there for me.
- A well-placed comma makes me happy.
- I have no interest in going to France. (Sorry, Doug!) When I planned my trip to Germany and Austria last year, I purposely avoided having a layover in Paris.
- I am not a fan of scrapbooking (primarily because I don't think I'm very creative). I also do not like parades or fireworks (when you've seen one, you've seen them all), raw tomatoes, raw oranges, artifical banana or grape flavors, and diet soda.
- I want my house to be as temple-like as possible, so I have/am investing a lot of time and money into decorating, including purchasing high-quality, sacred artwork.
- I am OCD about a dirty house because of the house I grew up in.
- I hate making the bed.
- I clean my toilets every week.
- A "closet" goal I have is to someday be influential among women--to speak, write, and teach--like Sheri Dew, Julie B. Beck, and women like them.
- I love sheep and collect them (not the actually sheep, but items with their likeness).
- It is very validating when someone thinks I'm funny, especially if it is someone I respect/admire.