28 July 2010

Inviting Christ into Every Aspect of Our Lives

A few Saturdays ago, I had lunch with one of my favorite people: Leslie. We had business to discuss, but we also shared insights and testimony. (I love to be in the company of people with whom I can share more than just thoughts about the weather, politics, or everyday news--people who naturally share testimony during the course of a normal conversation--and Leslie is one of those people.)

Leslie attributed the renewed health of her business to a decision she made a few weeks ago to acknowledge that she was not in control, to submit to whatever the Lord saw fit to do in her life, and to invite Christ into every aspect of her business and her life.

This concept is not a revolutionary idea; in fact, in the scriptures we are constantly invited to do that very thing. Yet, for me, inviting Christ into every aspect of my life is something I want to do but have not. Why? That's a very good question....

The scriptures are clear: we are commanded to pray over ALL things in our lives, not just the "must haves." One of my favorite discourses on this subject is in Alma.

Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
-- Alma 34:18-27
Amulek's words are plain and easy to understand: we should pray continuously and over ALL things in our lives.

My discussion with Leslie reminded me that there are still aspects of my life that I'm still trying to maintain with my own limited strength and abilities. I know Heavenly Father and the Savior are mindful of me and "delight" to bless me. Now I need to open my heart and my life even more and allow them to do exactly that (bless me with what I desire).

Thanks, Leslie, for the reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment