18 August 2009

Impossible Miracles

Have you ever thought, "No, this (what I desire) can't plausibly happen; I'm asking too much of the Lord"?

I have. In fact, I've been thinking that frequently lately: what I am praying for is huge--we're talking on par with moving heaven and mountains, parting the Red Sea, and Sarah giving birth to a child when she was past 90 years old combined! In my mind I know that the Lord has ALL power and "can do whatsoever [He] wilt for the benefit of man" (Ether 3:4)...but I wonder, "Will He really go to all of that trouble (all that the miracle I need requires) just for me? Maybe I should be asking for something smaller, something that wouldn't require so much effort?"

A few sentences from the Bible Dictionary entry on "miracles" came to mind: "Christianity is founded on the greatest of all miracles, the resurrection of our Lord. If that be admitted, other miracles cease to be improbable....Miracles were and are a response to faith, and its best encouragement" -- which translated to me as "Seriously, Maddy, you just gotta let go and let me do this for you! I can do it and I will do it!"

Sometimes I just need to relax and trust that the Lord will do what He said He would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment