25 August 2009

Temples Build Families

Over the weekend, President Monson dedicated the 130th operating temple, the Oquirrh Mountain Utah temple. This occasion caused me to think about the importance of temples to Heavenly Father's plan for His children. At its essence, temples are for building eternal families--and that is an endeavor I wholeheartedly support.

Said Elder Hartman Rector, Jr. back in 1973 (his words are still efficacious today):
"Exaltation is a family affair, and so we build temples (houses dedicated to the Lord), but temples are family houses. They are set apart to create families for eternity. The sealing room in the temple is a family room and the altar of the temple is a family altar."

Elder Hartman Rector, Jr., "Prepare Yourself to Raise a Family in the Lord," BYU fireside, 7 January 1973 (italics in original quote, bold emphasis added).

1 comment:

  1. The dedication was great! I was so glad to be able to take my two children who are old enough to go.

    I just stumbled onto your blog, but I'm so glad I did. You have great messages and I bookmarked it so I can come back and read more later!

    ReplyDelete